Jack's Secret Sauce

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Political Overload!

It's 12:18am. I'm sitting at my computer, compulsively hitting the "refresh" button on my browser and watching the election results come in. (Our TV left when one of the roommates moved out last weekend.)

Okay, so I know our political system is ridiculous, over-dramatic, and most-likely corrupt, and I should probably move to Canada (or at least back to MN).

My take so far:

I'm pretty damn disappointed in WI for passing the marriage amendment and civil unions ban. Seriously, people - I know the wording was confusing - but do you understand what this means?! Judging by what my students were saying today in class... most people don't understand. SAD. We're also apparently in favor of the death penalty now. Hmm... guess that had to happen sometime.

On the other hand - my former district re-elected Ron Kind, and Herb Kohl is back yet again (but they were shoe-ins, basically). Doyle beat Green. Gwen Moore, the congresswoman for my (new) district, is back in action. Aaaand I just read on CNN that the dems have the majority in the House, which means that Nancy Pelosi is the first female speaker of the house.

I'm still watching the WI Attorney General race, as well as the SoDak race - to see what they do with those amendments, and the Senate race is making me slightly crazy.

I have a paper due tomorrow. I haven't writing started yet. :)

................................................

20 minutes later...
South Dakota has voted down the amendment to ban abortion. Rock on. Buuut, their marriage amendment also passed, and the marijuana one failed.

Nevada has voted to raise minimum wage (as has Montana). Still no verdict on Nevada's second proposed amendment.

.................................................

Welp, it's 1am. I suppose I should turn in... since I'm going to get up early and... write a paper. Wow. I'm a grad student. I probably shouldn't do this. Come to think of it... I never did this in undergrad.
Damn election.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home