Jack's Secret Sauce

Friday, February 17, 2006

Charlie Sheen

I just finished watching Platoon for the first time ever. I'm not sure what I think of Charlie Sheen as an actor, but this is a damn powerful movie. I don't know... I'm in way too deep in my thoughts right now.
My mom has the album - as in the soundtrack - for this movie... she told me to watch it. I wonder if my dad's ever seen it. I thought a lot about him while I was watching. He's rarely spoken to me about his time in Vietnam, but I know it was horrible and I know that he still has nightmares. He was there in the late 60's... that was almost 40 years ago.
I realize that this was a movie... and was perhaps overly dramatic... but you never know. The one thing that my dad did tell me after I found his old stripes was that they made him a sargent basically because everyone else in his unit died.
What the fuck is that?! I kind of think that in some way war is a part of human nature. I mean, there's no time in documented history when there hasn't been some type of brawl going on. Why do we need this?
It also makes me wonder about the horrors that people can experience and still find the strength to, I don't know, not give up.
I have no idea what the "war on terror" is actually like for the people that are really fighting it. It seems so surreal and foreign to me. It's like the war is only really on TV... I don't even know if it really exists!
I'm rambling. Thinking too fast.
Seems like Vietnam was SO powerful and had such a huge impact on my parent's generation... I wonder if I will ever experience that kind of social chaos or revolution. The world seems way too apathetic for that kind of thing now... then again, maybe it just hasn't gotten bad enough yet.
I have no idea.
I just know that, despite the alcohol and the chain smoking and the slight craziness, and no matter how much I get annoyed with him sometimes, I still tremendously respect and love my father - what he did, how he has dealt with the curveballs, and how he is still coping with all of the experiences... I wish there was some way I could help.
Sure puts my problems in perspective. God damn perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home