Jack's Secret Sauce

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Titanic: The Board Game

Today I was in Barnes & Noble on my lunch break (surprise surprise).

I was wandering around by this table of random games and puzzles and how-to books... y'know "Easy Origami Swans" or "3D puzzle of George Bush's Ears". On the bottom shelf, there was this big box that just said "Titanic" over a picture of the love birds Jack and Rose.
I thought to myself... "What's this? A Titanic board game?" I could tell it wasn't a puzzle, and I didn't know what type of craft anyone could possibly make with this - a toy boat maybe?

The thought of a Titanic GAME was absolutely hilarious to me. I sat down on the floor next to the table and picked up the box. It was very dusty. I wiped the dust on the floor and read the back of the box. Unfortunately, it wasn't actually a game... it was a "Titanic Delux Edition" thing, consisting of the full-length feature film on VHS (VHS?! - how old is this box?!), a booklet containing valuable and interesting historical information about the titanic and its passengers, and a "film reel" (four consecutive pictures of Kate and Leo while they're doing that "do you trust me?"/ "I trust you" thing at the very front of the ship. "JACK... I'm flying!").

Yeah.

Seriously, I love Barnes and Noble... but do they really expect someone to buy this?!
If it was a board game, I could see that MAYBE someone would buy it because that would be very sadistic and hilarious... pick a card, roll the dice, hit as many iceburgs as possible to sink the ship before your opponents can draw Rose naked!
Too bad. Maybe I'll invent that game.
For now though, this dusty box will sit, alone in it's Titanic glory (there was only one)... for as long as the store remains in business.

Put your hands on me, Jack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home