Jack's Secret Sauce

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Perspective

There are good days and there are bad days. It's February, so it makes sense that the majority of my days won't be so good (ask my about the February story some other time).
I have a number of big semester-long projects coming up soon. But that's not now. Right now, the only homework I have is to read a few pages for First Aid & CPR. My busy roommates are all away, Kim at basketball, Kristen at the Vagina Monologues, and Becky at the state forensics tournament at Bethel.
So what am I doing? Sitting in my workout clothes (yep, sitting), and listening to Linkin Park's Reanimation. I can't gather up the motivation to walk to Lund and run 4 miles. Not sure if it'll happen today. I probably should give my shins a rest anyway (that's a rational excuse for not working out, right?).
Anyway, I've found that it's very easy for me to get into a funk when I'm sitting in Uhler alone. Unlike other years, there are no good friends right around the corner. I can listen to my angry music and feel broken without anyone ever knowing. There's a lot of shit going on. It's so easy to let it snowball, and then I feel like I'm trapped in an avalanche and waiting for the rescue team that will not come.

SO, you're probably wondering why I'm writing all this in a blog. This is not the kind of thing people write in blogs that their friends read. Not to fear, I have a good point, and I'm not going to end this like I began it.

It's times like these when you really have to remember that you DO have good friends, even though they're not around. That you're going to have weird nights at the bar. You're going to be lonely sometimes.
You have to experience the bad to recognize the good in your life.
You also have to remember what YOU have that other people would kill for.
For instance, I have a house, I go to a good school, I have enough money to feed myself, I am not beaten or mutilated, I have a clitoris (which, I learned at the Vagina Monologues last night, has more nerve endings in it than ANY other part of any body - yep, including the penis, for all you men out there). Yeah yeah!
Seriously though, my life is really not bad at all. It really helps to put things in perspective sometimes.
Well, that's enough motivational speaking for one day methinks. I'm hungry. Maybe I'll go eat lunch again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home