Jack's Secret Sauce

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

El Fin

Today is the last day of classes for my first semester of graduate school.
This only occurred to me this morning when Steve said "this is going to be a bad last day of classes."
Then I thought... "Oh yeah, it's the last day."

I'm sitting in my office holding even more office hours. So far I've had six students show up (that's actually a high number, so I'm a little bit proud). The office is completely full of 101 kids - they're even sitting in the floor and out in the hallway. Yay students. Hmm.

I really don't feel like the semester is/should be over. It's warm outside (high of 42 today, I think). I don't have any finals or final papers, so I'm not getting any academic-type closure to my classes. I've kind of been drifting along for the past month. I lost my drive and focus. Yesterday, in my final Research Methods class (during the potluck) we had a long discussion about our next semester here and what we should be doing.
I need to get back on track over break... I'm going to have to scope out the UWRF library and start doing some research.
Last night after class, for the first time in a few months, I felt empowered and slightly ambitious. ("Yes, I *can* write a master's paper, and I *can* finish it within the next year and a half so I don't have to stay an extra semester, and I *can* study hard and not get distracted and waste away while lounging on the futon and watching movies.)

Right.

I called home last night and talked to my mother about Dad's latest MRI results. Things aren't looking good, but that's no surprise. I'm starting to dread going home. I need to be strong about this, but it's scary. I wonder if he'll make it to his Jan 25th birthday... that was what Jay made him promise - that he'd make it at least to his birthday - back in September when he was diagnosed. I'm not sure if brain cancer cares about promises.

I'm going to need some tea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home