Jack's Secret Sauce

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Saved by Tom Petty (Again)

Last night I went to see Tom and his Heartbreakers play in Madison. Once again, it was a phenomenal concert. My seat was about 15 feet from the stage on the right hand side (if you're facing the stage).
I could SEE the wrinkles under his eyes. It was amazing to be so close to that band! I kind of didn't know what to do for a while. I had a seat at the end of a row, so I was up dancing the whole time.

I'm also pretty damn sure that Tom said "Hi" to me. He wandered over to our side of the stage during one song and looked at all of the people. I was right across the aisle from a sign language interpreter, and she had a music stand with a light on it so she could read the lyrics and sign them. I was kind of in that light... and I swear on all that is holy that Tom Petty looked at me, in my ecstatic dancing glory and mouthed "Hi." It might have been "yeah"... I don't read lips very well. But that's not the point. There weren't that many people over where I was...
The point is that Tom Petty definitely looked at me and smiled. That I'm sure of.

I know. I'm the biggest nerd in the world.

During the encore, the band went into a long extended version of Mystic Eyes (original by Van Morrison), and during one point, Petty said something to the effect of "Wouldn't it be great, if we could have just one moment... where everything was all right?... Just one moment, where *everything* was all right... I'm going to give you that moment."

And then he did, with a little help from Mike Campbell's *crazy* guitar solo.

So this time around (Petty concert #2), I didn't cry at the beginning... I cried at the end. Just a little bit.

Because although it was just for a few precious minutes, everything was all right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home