Jack's Secret Sauce

Thursday, August 31, 2006

RIVERWEST

I live in a neighborhood called Riverwest. So far, this neighborhood is really cool. It's the only interracial area in Milwaukee (did you know that Milwaukee is one of the most segregated cities in the nation?). <-- Very interesting from the sociological perspective. Hmm.

Here are some things I like about Riverwest:

The Riverwest Co-op and Grocery Cafe
http://www.riverwestcoop.org/
It's really cute, everyone is very nice and environmentally aware, and they have good spring rolls in the cafe.

The Riverwest Gardeners Market (and all of the other markets)
http://www.milwaukeecollegelife.com/milwaukeelife/farmersmarkets.html
I went for the first time last weekend. I met a guy there who runs a mushroom farm and is also a math prof at UWM. Cool.

Fuel Cafe
http://milwaukee.about.com/od/american/a/fuelcafe.htm
If you stay too long, you will smell like cigarettes... but it's still a cool place.

Nessun Dorma
http://www.mkeonline.com/story.asp?id=269491
I went here for a drink last week. It doesn't seem all that well known, but they have an amazing beer list and "everchanging" wine list... and the food is supposed to be good too (although I haven't actually tried it yet).

There are quite a few other places I have yet to check out, such as Shi Chai (hookah lounge and meditteranean deli), a record store, video store, info shop, and a LOT of bars!

There's so much STUFF in this city. I wrote in my journal last night for the first time in three months - because the internet was down and I was so filled with happiness and excitement that I had to write about it somewhere! It was the first time I went to my journal to write about how excited, amazed, and happy I am.
I'm so excited about how BIG the world is and how much I still have to learn... amazed that I'm so positive about this new step in my life and the fact that I haven't cried yet... and happy about everything just stated and also about how I really, FINALLY made the "right" decision for me.

Seriously people, I'm bursting with postive energy, and I want to share it with everyone. Visit!

1 Comments:

  • "the only interracial area in Milwaukee"??? hardly! whatever gave you that idea?

    except for the nearly all black self-segregating central city neighborhoods, there is NO entire neighborhood in Milwaukee that is even close to being racially homogenous, meaning that about 90% or more of its residents self-identify as the same race. (nevermind that race itself is a bogus, unscientific ideological concept with no biological basis.)

    the truth about riverwest and "Race" is that in the minds of many/most of its white residents, riverwest is the hip declasse bohemian colony of the east side, and relative to the east side it has more black and latino residents. yet within riverwest, there is still a white majority (or close to it), and people self-segregate within riverwest along class lines (culture, economics, etc) which comes out correlating strongly with race. Thus the wealthier east end of RW is more white than the west end, and the color spectrum "darkens" as you move west toward holton.

    Holton remains the "mason-dixon line" with many/most white RW residents, especially baby boomers, holding largely irrational fears of west-of-holton, where they seldom to never venture.

    To put it simply, to a lot of people afflicted by white guilt--i.e. their subliminal sense of their own racism/tendency to isolate themselves by race and class--living in or visiting RW is a tonic to make them feel more in balance. But they will NEVER EVER think of getting a haircut at Gee's Clippers on King, or of eating at a "black" restaurant on MLK. I doubt many even patronize Pueblo Foods.

    For black residents in the area, the "diversity is our strength" slogan is often parodied as "diversity is our alibi." I.e., white people tout "diversity" in Riverwest to feel good, and that's about it.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8/01/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home