Jack's Secret Sauce

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Whirlwind

I'm sitting at my desk in the living room of my new house. My computer was in the ER for five days and for a while there, the outcome did not look good. Thanks to Jay and Dan though, she's back to her cheerful self (and free from viruses). I do have to reinstall EVERY program though (we had to completely wipe out the hard drive). Not to worry - AIM was the first thing I set up. :P (You weren't really worried, were you?)

I've been in Milwaukee since Saturday, and so much has happened since then - I don't know where to begin. I love the new place. My room is small but my bed fits, so I'm not complaining. The rest of the house is great. I'm almost done unpacking. I'm a five minute drive and about a 20/25 minute walk to campus. I need to get a bus pass. I'm rambling here, aren't I?

Monday and Tuesday I had my TA orientation - two days filled with information about how to teach undergraduates. It was WAY too much information and not enough time to absorb - I'll need to go back over my handouts - I did learn a TON though, and I'm grateful to the people who put the program together. Now I feel like I might have a fighting chance when I step into that classroom and pretend I'm a teacher. Damn.
We got a lot of great advice... like "don't date your students" and "don't tell racial jokes to break the ice on the first day of class." Wow.

I met the other 1st year Soc TA's (most of them). First impression is that they are all pretty cool. We're a very eclectic group. I'll be hanging out with these people quite a bit over the next few years, so hopefully we click. I am getting together with one of the girls later this afternoon to do a little bit of exploring (we're both from out of town... she's from WA state actually).

I got my student ID (HORRIBLE picture). I bought my books. I have 3 (THREE!) books for my graduate classes. I spend about $65. Unbelievable. I also have three for the class I'm TAing (Intro to Soc), but I think I get those for free - those books alone cost more than the three for my grad classes.

I still need to find a bank, start my homework, decide what bus is my bus, etc, etc (house keeping stuff).
I'm feeling pretty damn happy and confident about this whole thing though. I'm actually NOT scared (I'm sure I will be at some point). Imagine that - me not freaking out. I really *have* settled down over the past few years. I am no longer an uptight psycho. (Still psycho, just not uptight.)

As crazy as the next month will be, I really do feel at home. I feel calm. I feel ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home