Jack's Secret Sauce

Sunday, September 17, 2006

"Are y'all strangers 'round here?"

Random memory of my father:

When I was a little girl, my dad used to play this game with my sister and me.

He'd be sitting in the big chair downstairs watching football or something. We'd tumble down the stairs rambunctiously... "Daddy daddy play with us blah blah blah."

Dad would lean to the side, cock his head and say (in his best southern drawl) "Hey... are y'all strangers 'round here?" We'd saunter around the room, thumbs in our front pockets, doing our best coyboy impressions in our pink stirrup pants and kitten sweaters...

We'd answer (in the best ''southern'' voices little midwestern girls can have) "yep"... "yessir."

Then he'd say "weeell, in that case..." and then he'd raise his arm, form a "gun" shape with his hand and then pretend to shoot us "stranger cowboys."

We'd then get to fake dramatic deaths on the basement floor.

Then we'd make him do it again. And again. And again. Until he missed too much of his football game and decided to shoo us out of the room.

Today I asked my sister if she remembered this game. Of course she did. She also asked me if it was from a movie or something, since it doesn't make any sense at all. As far as I know, we made it up. Weirdos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home