Jack's Secret Sauce

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

It was the best $30 bucks I've ever spent....

On Monday night, Kristen and I attended a "French Cuisine" cooking class. I was a little bit worried - we signed up thru the St. Louis Park community ed website. There's a little disclaimer on the site saying that anyone can sign up to teach whatever they want... so you really don't know what nutcase teacher you're going to have until you go to the class.
We lucked out.
The instructor of our course was Laurel Severson - she has YEARS of cooking experience - with large companies like 3M.
We cooked 8 or 9 different French dishes - and then ate them all. Two with scallops (I can't recall ever liking scallops until Monday night!), saffron rice, a soup, a potato dish, this artichoke salad, creme carmel, and at the end we made crepes with an orange creme sauce, doused with alcohol and then lit on FIRE. We were there for 3 1/2 hours... I almost wish it had gone longer - I would have learned more.
Serious bang for your buck.
The evening was even more wonderful because it WAS a community ed class - we were with people who can't/don't want to pay &65 dollars to go to a 2 hr class at Cooks to learn how to pour wine from snooty chefs in ridiculously expensive kitchens with utensils that no normal person would ever own.
Our class was located in this old school building - the home ec room, I think. It was so REAL.
I'm definitely taking another class from Laurel. She's my current hero.

Last night, Becky and I went out for coffee and good conversation. She's back from GA for a few weeks. I hope to see her again soon, but she left her car down south... and I work all the fricking time, so we'll see.

Tonight I'm laying low. Adam got the volcano of electronic entertainment working in the living room... maybe I'll play some Tetris or watch The Big Lebowski (again).

Coffee with Heather tomorrow. I'm trying to think of a good coffee shop to go to - one that I haven't visited yet... I can't think of any, besides the multitude of Starbucks and Caribou. Hmm.

Friday night is the Organ Donor's concert!! Who wants to go? (If you haven't heard of them... they're a band that formed at Gustavus - most of them graduated w/me last spring. They're AMAZING - not kidding you. SO good, and their music is so far from the normal college band sound.) 10:45pm (opening acts start at 9:30pm) - Club Underground - $5, 21+.

Had a bit of a mental breakdown last night. I think the lack of sunshine is getting to me. I seriously believe I get seasonally depressed.... (did that make sense?). This is why I don't like winter. I'm frequently sad.
No worries, I'm okay. Life isn't that bad, I'm just not so good at dealing with stress. I need to find a health club.... or maybe a small fuzzy animal, like a chinchilla.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home