Jack's Secret Sauce

Friday, February 25, 2005

A Rose is a Rose?

Today I finally had to throw out my roses.

I was standing over the garbage can in the bathroom, picking out the "greenery" first - one piece at a time, until all that remained were the roses.
I took one, turned it upside down and held it up next to my face so I could look at it more closely. Some people don't like roses. Some people think they're cliche or boring... or something. Because my middle name is Rose, I've always had a good enough reason to like the actual flower.
Honestly, I've had people ask me "Why do you like roses so much?" and when I say "Well, my middle name is Rose..." they respond "OH, ok" like my answer makes perfect sense.

Even if I didn't have my excuse, I'd still love roses. As I stood in the stupid Uhler bathroom looking at my upside-down rose, I suddenly felt lost. For real. I'm not trying to be dramatic. I realized I had no idea how many petals I was looking at. It was amazing... and SO gorgeous.

I took the rose and started to peel away the petals, trying not to rip them. There were so many! They became softer and smaller and more difficult to separate. The red became so bright - it almost looked like acrylic paint. What a change from the wilted petals on the outside. The ones in the center were impossible to pull apart. Honestly, I was enthralled - I'd never seen this part of a flower.
When I was finally finished, I spread the petals across the window ledge in the bathroom.... thought I'd share them.

How many times do we miss the beauty in the world? How many times are we too busy to notice or to dig a little deeper?
It's funny, I think I learned something from a dead flower. It gives me a whole new understanding of the phrase "stop and smell the roses."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home