Jack's Secret Sauce

Monday, February 12, 2007

Hot Seat, Solved Mystery, Beach Tags

Today in my evening class, my professor appeared very frazzled and didn't have all of the class materials with her. She apologized and launched into a story about how the heated seats in her car had caught fire last week, burning a large whole in her coat (and through the seat, of course).

She wasn't physically harmed, just shaken.

She has a BMW. Hmm.

After that, one of my colleagues mentioned that her chiropractor has the same fiasco happen to her last week. We decided that perhaps it was due to the below-freezing temperatures... ? Who knows.

I have a Jetta, Happy. Happy has heated seats too (which I adore). Now I'm very scared for both myself and Happy that my seats (and my ass) will catch FIRE! It's probably nothing. How many people are driving around right now with their heated seats set to the max without any hint of igniting? Several. Okay.

Yikes.

In other news, Ma called today and said she got a letter from the police. They caught the person who hit my car back in October. (!!!?) WOOOOAAAH! That's nuts!
I don't know if I'll get my $1000 back yet... the letter didn't say anything about the person having (or not having) insurance.

Lots to do this week. Many papers to grade. My discussions went the full hour again this week. :) Yay.

I miss Dad. Last week it was the four-year anniversary of my grandfather's death (my brother reminded me...). He died of cancer too (lung cancer, not brain cancer). I was digging through one of my desk drawers the other day looking for stamps (I didn't find any).
I did find the beach tag that I bought on the last day of my Cape May vacation last year - the vacation where it was just Dad and me.

He took me to Cape May Beach during the day. I hadn't done that in years (you're supposed to pay to get on to it - and there are several other beaches that don't require tags). Buuut, our hotel was right across the street, and it was just the two of us (my aunt came later).... so we just bought the beach tags.
I can't believe I kept it. I don't remember deciding to keep it. But then there it was. The back of it poked my finger while I was rummaging for stamps. I was so surprised... I have some really special, amazing memories from our trip out east last summer - the best coming from that day we spent on this beach. When I spoke at the memorial service, I talked about this day on the beach (among other things). It's such a wonderful memory, and I still can't get past how lucky I am to have shared that... to have BEEN THERE. Damn.

Maybe he was saying hello, letting me stumble upon the silly orange beach tag....
It was a nice, out-of-the-blue reminder that Cape May (and my beach) is still there, even if my dad is not. Most likely, it will be there for a very long time, and I can go there whenever I need to, and I can remember that beach day, and I can remember him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home