Jack's Secret Sauce

Friday, September 22, 2006

Reflections

I am now running full force down the dark tunnel - the journey that is graduate school. I fear I will not see the light of day for another few years.
Okay, so it's not THAT horrible. I'm just swamped right now. I have two friends driving down to visit from Minneapolis for the weekend. I'm very excited(!!) and sadly, very nervous. I keep thinking "Do I have time for this? Will I finish my lit review? Will I get those exam questions written? Blah blah blah." (Yes, I'm actually thinking "blah blah blah." This usually happens after several hours of reading.)

Then I remember how important friends are. I am a social creature and I need my social life. Of course I will get things done. I may need to take speed, but I will get things done.

I was studying earlier today at Alterra. http://www.alterracoffee.com/
It's one of the best coffee shops I've ever experienced, and I encourage everyone who visits Milwaukee to check it out (stop by the one by the lake - it's the best).
I had Jack with me (the iPod). Dido's "Life for Rent" came on. I had to stop reading and just listen to the song. (Lyrics here.)
I felt very connected to the lyrics. I think my life is rentable these days.
That's funny, but it makes me a little sad.

I also realized today that my blog is mostly about ME. I guess that's fine, since it's my blog... I can write whatever the hell I want to write. I read my friend Sarah's blog. She writes (very coherently and intelligently) about big (as in important) issues, and I always enjoy her take on things (probably because we're on the same wavelength). Check her out here - she's also linked to my page.
It's neat to see how each one of us who blogs make our spaces uniquely our own. (I can't decide if that grammar is correct or not...)
I like that about people. We each have a voice. The unfortunate thing is that many of us do not know how (or don't care) to use it.

I'm not sure where that came from. Too many thoughts in my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home