Jack's Secret Sauce

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

You Wreck Me, Baby (aka Laura gets emotional and ridiculous over live Tom Petty music)




Last night, I went to the Pearl Jam and Tom Petty concert. I need to write about this.
Pearl Jam put on a great show – they were better than I thought they’d be.
Then Petty came out and blew them out of the water.
Seriously, it was amazing.

I was a bit late with my discovery of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, considering they’ve been around for 30 years.

Some time ago, (wow, yeah, it was a while ago now) I went through what I assumed to be hell. I went through a break up (after four years of rollercoaster young love dating).

I was lost and confused and temporarily insane.

The next weekend, I went to a little party hosted by some friends I hadn’t really hung out with before, trying to find some sense of normalcy in my new single life. At the party, one guy had his laptop set up and his iTunes blaring… Tom Petty. I loved it, asked what it was, and learned a few songs well enough to sing along for the rest of the night.

I had my fair share of fun nights while in college, but most of them are kind of fuzzy now (no, not always from alcohol)… but THIS night is still so clear in my mind. It gave me a wonderful, much-needed realization that I still had so much more to look forward to in life – good friends, good music, memorable nights… it was exactly what I needed at the time.

Now, almost two years later, I’m (finally) over that break up. It was actually the best thing that could have happened to me – I’m starting to learn how to live on my own (that never would have happened before) and appreciate the good things in my life. Still, whenever I’m down/sad/alone/scared… out comes my Tom Petty; the music not only makes me feel better, it also reminds me that I am OKAY and that my life is worth living. Interesting how music can have such an impact.

I’ll also throw in the CD when I’m feeling good… just because I love to sing “Freefalling” like a maniac in my car.

So the concert was a grand old time… the lights were dancing, the sound was full, the guitar solos were incredible, and I admit, I did shed a tear (just one) when I heard the beginning chords of “I Won’t Back Down.” They played every song I’d hoped to hear and even closed with “American Girl,” bringing back Eddie Vedder to sing the second verse.

It was a few dollars spent (okay, more than a few), a few hours of crazy, wonderful live music, and finally a few hours of sleep. This morning, I woke up hoarse and very tired, but I’d do it again tonight.

It’s always nice to be reminded of how amazing life is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home