Jack's Secret Sauce

Thursday, June 15, 2006

I will not be living in a cardboard box

Big news, people! I got a phone call last night from my future roommate. Yep, that's right - the amazing house I toured last weekend in Milwaukee apparently wants me to live in it.
I'm so happy! It's such a relief, too - I guess I hadn't realized how anxious I was about finding a decent living space. I had so many requirements - I'm broke, so rent has to be cheap. I'm worried about not knowing anyone and being lonely - so I was hoping for roommates... blah blah blah.

I'll be living with 2 med students who are both in their last year of med school. I met them both last weekend, and they are the coolest, most down-to-earth women I've ever met. Seriously.
The landlord and his family live on the top floor of the house, and us three girls get the bottom floor... completely furnished (except for the bedroom) - and these girls really know how to decorate. There's a real fireplace, a grill outside, a hammock, a GIANT organic garden and a massive rhubarb plant (I LOVE RHUBARB!), compost, a basement with free laundry, excersize equipment, a dart board.... fun stuff.
I think the two other women are a lot like me - they like to cook and try new things, they don't have cable (I told them I had an old TV with rabbit ears; they thought that was great).
And - it's CHEAP.

The only possible downfall is the size of the room I'm moving into - it's tiny. I'm hoping this won't actually be a problem, because I don't see myself hanging out in there all that much. I'd much rather be out exploring the city... and I'll most likely be studying and preparing lesson plans.

The neighborhood feels very alternative and fun. I'm really excited about moving to a city that isn't trying to impress anyone. Milwaukee just feels very real, it's "working class," it's diverse. It's a sociologist's dream, basically.

I'm pretty pumped.

In other news, yesterday I hit myself in the face with my car door, proving my long-held suspicion that I am, indeed, a dumbass. Seriously, my jaw hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home