Jack's Secret Sauce

Sunday, April 30, 2006

I have lost my train of thought

It's still raining.
Yesterday, I woke up with horrible gut rot (note to self: don't drink a bottle of champagne and 3 Mikes in one night ever again).
Went to Panera with Jackie and Heather. They ask me if I want to go to IKEA with them, and I have to say no because I'm meeting my brother at 4:30 and still have to shower and drive there.

Then I went home to meet my brother and go with him to a movie in the MSP International Film Festival at the Oak St Theater.

Here's how the rest of the night progressed:
First he called and said he can't make the 5:30 show - so instead of meeting him at 4:30 meet him at 6. Then he called again - don't come at 6, come at 6:30. Fine fine.
I met him at 6:30... then we went to the theater, and no one knew what was going on. We figured out where to buy tickets and then had to wait outside in the rain for 20 minutes, because the theater people were running late. My brother ran into a guy also waiting there who he knew from high school. They talked about a bunch of people they used to know or still know from HS (my brother graduated 12 or so years ago). The guy kept saying "it's pretty ridiculous" or "it was pretty ridiculous" after every story he told. It was like a nervous tick or something.

Once we got inside the theater and sat down, it was another while before the movie started.
So the movie's playing, and I have NO idea what it's about and I feel really stupid like I shouldn't be at a movie in the International Film Fest because I'm not smart enough.

There are these divers swimming around in the water - and you can tell it's really deep because the water's all dark and they have flashlights.
Then there's weird solo viola music... a few sentences of narration in English and then a lot of talking in a different language I didn't recognize. This swimming around goes on for a looong time.
Then it cuts to this Asian guy sitting in someone's living room and talking about colonizing another planet and how the ideal utopian colony would look like a shopping mall.
Then it cuts to a different guy standing outside in front of some abandoned building with columns like the parthenon and he's saying "so where are all the shoppers?"
And I'm just like WTF?
Just as I'm starting to drift off into a daydream about where I'm going to go after I quit my job this summer, the movie cuts back to the divers.... and then the screen goes blank and the speakers make this noise like a record player slowing down becauese it has been accidentally unplugged.

Some guy from the theater runs up to the front of the room and announces that the reels were unmarked when they came in and they're out of order and it'll be 5/10 minutes to get it fixed up so he hopes that we can wait and they're offering free soda at the consessions stand.

So we sit and wait for 15 minutes and I read all of the short summaries of all the other movies showing at the Festival in my program.

The guy comes back and says that, not only are the reels out of order, they're also not wound properly and it's going to take them another 10/15 minutes to fix that... so, they are cancelling tonight's showing and will be handing out free tickets to ANY other movie showing at the Fest - even good for shows during "Best of the Fest."

So we file out of the theater and get our free little tickets. Jay's all hyper and is like "do you want to go to a different movie? or get something to eat? or we could go back to my apartment and have our own film festival! I have a bunch of documentaries!" (Actually, I think he owns every movie ever made.)
At this point, I'm so tired because the previous night I went to bed at 3am and got up at 8am. I vote for going back to the apartment.

After we get there, I curl up on the futon with a blanket, and my crazy brother shuffles through all of his movies (hundreds).... "Do you want to watch this? Or maybe this? Oh, this one's a classic - have you seen it? You have to see it. Oh have you seen this one? It's autographed by the guy who did the sound. How about this one?" Etc, etc... for 20 minutes.
Finally, I pick Dark City because I thought I hadn't seen it. After it started I realized I had seen at least some parts of it, and then I proceed to fall asleep for a majority of the movie.

I finally get home and to sleep about 1am. And Jay e-mails me today's movie schedules for the Fest because he wants to use the free tickets, but all I want to do today is sit on my ass and be pathetic (doing a good job so far).

Sheesh.

I did borrow THX 1138 from him - some really old George Lucas flick that I think I'll like because it's about people being controlled by drugs... or something like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home