Jack's Secret Sauce

Monday, November 16, 2009

Welcome Back

Wow. It's a bit freaky to me that I can completely forget that this blog exists, and yet it does. It's not that I don't understand how technology works... I do. It's just weird. Weird that I started this thing years ago (at least, it seems like years ago to me), and I feel like I've grown into quite a different person since that time. Yet, there is still this record of old me, a person who no longer really exists.

As for an update... I don't know where to begin.
I went to school, I finished school (hooray masters degree), I went to school again (hooray graduate certificate) and then I got a job.
I'm still with SV (three years tomorrow).
I still miss Dad terribly.
I'm still wondering what to do with my life.
I joined a book club.

I'm very proud of this job I have. It's like a thing that I did all by myself, on my own merit and skill (I don't have very many of those "things"). Apparently, my application for this position was one in over 100. I never thought I had it in me. I'm always terrified of competition. I'm mostly proud about proving to myself that I am able to get an interesting, decent job and am becoming more and more self-reliant.

The downside of this is that I really do miss being a graduate student. I miss the schedule, the academic camaraderie, and most of all the myriad of learning opportunities. By myself, the hunt for new and exciting and relevant information is much lonelier and more difficult. There is no one to challenge me, question ideas, or help me talk through concepts. At least there's SV. He and I have some very funny conversations about things like statistics and society and neurons and the state of higher education. We seem to be in a never-ending intellectual boxing match (PSYCH vs. SOC, round 85). He's intelligent, and he questions things, and he doesn't let me get away with thinking I'm always right (a trait which I loath and adore, depending on the day). He also values my ideas and seeks out my opinions.... something that is only possible because he actually understands what I'm talking about and how I talk about things.
But enough about that.

I am unbelievably behind in my new technology acquisition. I'm not sure yet if I actually care. My phone does not connect to the internet. We have a converter box hooked up to our 20-year-old TV. I play DVDs using a PS2 which I 'borrowed' from my sister a few years ago. I do have an ipod, but it's ancient; Apple no longer makes a model with such a small amount of memory.
My friends and family are all chatty about DVR (which, when I first heard of this, I though it was DDR, that dance game), droids and iphones, kindle and competitors, and whatever the heck kind of new TV is hot these days.

I think my money is much better spent on food and travel... and in the coming month, Christmas presents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home