Jack's Secret Sauce

Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Jag - great story

{You are currently reading the very first blog post from work. Mark this day in history folks... my supervisors are out and I am bored, but I actually DO have something to write about!}

Last weekend, my father bought my mother a shining new Jaguar for their 25th anniversary. Yes, a NEW Jag. Unbelievable.
Now, before you come to any conclusions about my family's wealth, my parent's marriage, or the car choice, there are a few things you need to know.

When my dad was in his prime, working for a large company, he had a corner office with a view, underground parking, and a slew of gorgeous company cars. His favorite was an emerald green, '82 (I think), Jag. Beautiful car. I remember being very small and riding in the passenger seat, running my fingers over the cream-colored leather interior.

He doesn't have that job anymore. He works at a hardware store part-time to keep himself busy. He's a certified chain smoker and alcoholic (it's no big secret). He drives a Tracker (which, surprisingly, he loves - even after all those amazing company cars).

My mother: Mom grew up on a farm a mile away from their current house. Ever since I can remember, she has driven LARGE cars... mostly because she was carting around droves of small children - and when my sister joined soccer, she earned her title as "Soccer Mom'' - a title she is FINALLY giving up because my sister is going to college (on a soccer scholarship) in August.
So after the Jeeps, Suburbans, and mini-vans... my mother is now driving... a Jag?
She's just not a "fancy car" girl.

When she first saw the car in the drive way, she sent me a text message, asking me how the hell she could convince dad that she'd rather have a smaller car, a hot tub, and no car payments, "instead of the Jag in the driveway"?

SO yeah, there was some bickering about this.
My sister and her boyfriend had already decided they wanted to take the car for prom even before Ma saw the car.

My dad, well, he's a boy... he shows his feelings by buying STUFF. (I know, I know... that's a stereotype... but it's a stereotype because it's generally TRUE!)
Anyway, he was very hurt when my mom said she didn't want the car... storming away to go drink his vodka cranberry. He didn't really understand her point of view.
He did buy it completely and totally for her - he loves his Tracker and said he doesn't plan on driving the Jag - and he's trying to show her that, even if he's a fucked up jackass sometimes, there's still love.

After a weekend "trial'' period, the car is officially theirs. Note: They did NOT pay full price (Jeep trade-in plus a friendly discount from the dealer whom my dad is friends with). Still, there will be car payments.

I spoke with Mom today - I think the car is starting to grow on her... she's getting some friendly jabs from people in her office. Honestly, if anyone deserves a nice comfortable toy - it's my mother. She's always giving and never taking and hasn't ever let herself indulge.

In the beginning, I was a little pissed off at my Dad... wondering why he can't just settle down and not be completely overboard for once.
Then, I realized: Mom deserves it! They're both in their 50's. (Shh, don't tell them I told you.) Next year, when my sister moves out, they'll officially be parents of grown up children living far away.

If not now, WHEN?? Y'know...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home